USE OF PLANTS DURING THE WINTER HOLIDAYS

 

Plant

 

Toxicity

 

Poinsettia

There is very little documented evidence that poinsettias are actually toxic. There has been one reported death of a child, in Hawaii (in 1918) attributed to poinsettia, but none since. There is considerable doubt that the plant involved was really poinsettia. Ingestion of poinsettia by a small child may cause GI irritation. The poison center considers them safe to have in the home durinq the holidays.

Holly

 

As few as two berries can cause nausea. Larger amounts would cause more severe vomiting and diarrhea.

 

Pyracantha

 

Ingestion of small amounts should cause no symptoms. A handful or more of raw berries might cause vomiting or diarrhea. There are recipes that use pyracantha berries in jams and jellies.

 

Heavenly Bamboo

 

Non-toxic to humans, toxic to dogs.

 

Mistletoe

 

Amounts of 3 berries or 2 leaves or less are not thought to produce significant symptoms.

 

Pine tree

 

Non-toxic but leaves can get caught in throat causing irritation and choking.

 

Cedar

 

Can cause skin irritation and stomach upset with vomiting and diarrhea.

 

Blue Spruce

 

Non-toxic.

 

Fir tree

 

Non-toxic.

 

Pepperberry

 

Allergic and asthma like reactions in sensitive people, can also cause skin reactions.

 

Bayberry

 

Non-toxic.

 

Amaryllis

 

Ingestion of the bulb would cause nausea, vomiting

and diarrhea.

 

Christmas cactus

 

Non-toxic,

 

For emergency assistance, call the Poison Center at: 

1-800-8-POISON (1-800-876-4766)

 

Back to Pet Care Index

 

  Support So. Cal. Keeshond Rescue by supporting our Sponsors!





Donations accepted with PayPal
Quick, Easy & Tax Deductible!